This savory tart will have the family vying for the last crumb and demanding to know when you’re preparing it again. Turkey acquires new flair when smothered in cheesy kale and feta filling and topped with a layer of twice-baked caramelized baby carrots. The pastry shell is a tried and true recipe that pairs just as beautifully with savory fillings as it does with sweet.
Have you found a local supply of fresh garden vegetables this winter? A local farmer with a winter garden is waiting to feed you deliciously, seek and you shall find. Our family is fortunate to have GoodKarma Garlic provide us with fresh hoop house vegetables and this recipe features their delicious fresh picked kale and carrots. The instant I laid eyes on the gorgeous baby carrots I knew they were destined for something mouthwatering. Good Karma indeed.
– 1 pint fresh-picked sweet baby carrots
– Rosemary and thyme, chopped
– Olive oil, a healthy glug
– Salt and pepper to taste
1. Preheat oven to 350.
2. Clean carrot skins and trim stems.
3. Slice larger carrots in half length-wise, leaving smaller diameter carrots whole.
4. Coat with olive oil and herbs; salt and pepper to taste.
5. Spread carrots in a single layer in an oven-safe dish (I recommend a cast iron skillet) and roast for 40 minutes or until fork tender, turning occasionally. Of course you can stop right here and serve these bits of sweet-as-candy deliciousness now as a beautiful side dish. But the tart awaits, so best to enjoy a few and let the rest cool
– 1/4 cup sugar
– 1 cup cold butter, cubed
– 1 egg yolk
– 2 tbsp cold water
– A pinch of salt
1. Put the flour, sugar, butter and salt in a mixer with the paddle attachment and combine at low speed until thoroughly incorporated.
2. Add the egg yolk.
3. Slooooowly drip in just enough cold tap water to form a dough.
4. Wrap dough in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 15 minutes.
5. Roll out on a lightly floured surface until slightly bigger than tart pan, then transfer to pan and press into surface, taking care to fill all the ridges. Do not discard extra dough.
Dice 2 cups cooked turkey (or chicken) meat and spread evenly over the bottom of the crust in the pan.
In a food processor thoroughly combine:
– 4 oz feta cheese
– Half cup fresh kale
– Half cup roasted carrots
– Quarter cup homemade turkey broth
– any left over raw dough that did not fit into the tart panASSEMBLY
– Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
– Evenly spoon the feta and kale filling over the turkey.
– Arrange a single layer of roasted carrots over the top
– Bake for 30 minutes or until crust is golden brown and carrots are golden and caramelized.
Rest tart for 15 minutes before serving.